I am trying to become a cookie pro so I am just trying to bake anything that sounds delicious and I am a sucker for almond and coconut flavor things. Not to mention chocolate, caramel, nougat, rhubarb, vanilla, cardamom and everything else you can think of, the only thing i don’t care much for is mint but that’s pretty much it! I have a sweet tooth I know, i know!!!!
This is a classic Italian cookie with hints of almond and lemon. It calls for bitter almond so if you have that just substitute the almond extract for bitter almond extract or real bitter almond, I used regular almond extract and that works to. They have a crunch on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. They are delicious, easy to make and small so you can eat 2 🙂 or 3 or 4 or how ever many you damn please. They are both gluten and dairy free! Isn’t that a win then I don’t know what is!
Makes about 20-25 depending on how big you make them and is great for a birthday party or if you are having family and friends over for coffee aka Fika (its a swedish thing) Now lets get to baking!!!!
- 250 grams (2 1/2 cups) almond flour
- 200 grams(1 cup) granulated sugar
- lemon zest of one medium lemon
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp (bitter:: if you have it) almond extract
- extra granulated sugar for rolling sprinkle 1/3 cup in a large dinner plate, set aside
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Position rack in the center.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond flour and sugar together.
- Add grated lemon zest and whisk a few more times. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to a soft peak stage.
- Whisk in the (bitter) almond extract.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites. Once the dough is completely moist, you are done.
- Use the smallest cookie scooper to portion the dough (about 1 tablespoon).
- Roll each ball of dough in the sugar you prepared on a plate.
- Place on the paper lined baking sheet. You don’t have to spread them out much as they don’t expand much.
- Bake for about20-25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown in color.
- Cool before storing at room temperature in airtight containers.