Im on a donut high right now as the cinnamon sugar once I made came out AMAZING. And I got to say that these were a little better! Super decadent with the light chocolate donut and rich chocolate topping.
They wont be as crispy as a “real” donut and more “cake like” consistency but fluffier, if any of that made sense you know what im trying to say 😂.
Made from start to finish under an hour. Recipe is great for doubling up! Top with what ever you want. I used various sprinkles and crushed up candy canes 😃 they were eaten before I had a chance to blink 😜
LETS GET TO BAKING!
Makes 36 donut holes, 16-18 regular donuts or 24 mini donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup yogurt (any kind works, NO FLAVORS)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 2 tsp water
- sprinkles or toppings of your choice, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray your donut pans with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Make the donuts. Sift the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder together in a large bowl. Sifting is important; you want to remove any clumps of cocoa. Mix in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl; whisk the eggs, milk, yogurt, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Whisk in the melted butter until combined. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until JUST combined. Do NOT over mix as your donuts will be dense.
- Spoon or pipe batter into the donut pans about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (it all depends on your oven, I baked mine for about 7 mins). Do not overbake them!. Allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 more minutes before glazing.
- MAKE THE GLAZE; Place the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth. Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles (if desired). I simply poured the sprinkles into a deep bowl and dipped the tops of the donuts into it.
- READY TO MUNCH!