Yes I know its a little early for this but I was craving saffron so I said to myself Its never to early to make saffron buns so I just we t for it.
I made a vanilla butter filling and made “twisties” in lack of a better name. You can make regular rolls to what ever you feel like honestly but I like to change it up a bit from time to time.
I topped min with pearl sugar but you can top with shaved almonds or after they are baked and cooled you can brush them with melted butter and dip them in granulated sugar 😍.
NOW LETS GET TO BAKING!
Makes 40-50 buns
- 2 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 whole milk
- 1 gram saffron
- 1 tbsp + 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 stick butter, room temperature cut into small cubes
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 8-9 cup all-purpose flour (900-1000grams) plus more for rolling
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla sugar or pure vanilla extract (if using extract add 1/4 cup more granulated sugar)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pearl sugar
- Shaved almonds, optional
- Add the yeast to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Warm milk so its “finger warm”. Too hot will kill the yeast. You should be able to put your finger in the milk without getting burnt.
- Add your saffron to a mortel and pestle with a tablespoon of sugar and mix it up well. Thia will bring out the saffron flavor. Add to the warm milk and give it a stir.
- Add the warm milk mixture slowly to the yest. Give it a quick stir and wait 5 minutes to make sure the yeast is active.
- Once the yeast is active add the rest of the sugar and your butter. Give it a stir.
- Add the yoghurt, egg and salt and stir until the egg is broken up.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time making sure its well incorporated after each addition. add just as much as you need dont over do it. I always let my dough be a little sticky, that way im sure it wont be dry.
- Let knead for about 5 minutes (10 if doung it by hand) sprinkle dough with flour, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until double in size. About 45 min.
- Meanwhile make your filling! Mix all the ingredients to the filling together until nice and smooth. Set a aide.
- Once dough has risen. Put it on a floured surface and divide into 2. Set one piece aside.
- Ads more flour to the dough if needed then roll out to a nice even rectangular add half your filling and spread out evenly.
- Fold dough in half and roll out carefully.
- Cut into even strips about 22-25
- Take once strip and fold into half. Twist it and roll it twice around 2 fingers and tuck the end underneath, put on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper and contiune making your twist(see video) and do the same with the second dough. Cover each baking sheet with a kitchen towel and let proof for about 30 min.
- Heat oven to 425 F. And brush the buns with the egg and too with the sugar or almonds if desired and bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Take out and let cool on a wire rack covered with a kitchen towel.
- READY TO MUNCH!