If I would tell you these muffins are good I would be lying……They are f****ng DELICIOUS!!!! Im not even lying when I say that they might just be the best blueberry muffins Ive had and I don’t even care for blueberry muffins!!!!!
With the contrast of the coconut it just works so great, the amount of blueberries is perfect and the little crunch from the sugar on top is AMAZING. I know I’m going over the top with my excitement for these muffins but trust me when I say they really are that good. You can even add a coconut frosting on top and turn them into cupcakes, SKY IS THE LIMIT. Or if you don’t like coconut you can add some lemon zest to the batter and top with a light lemon frosting if you so desire. Make it your own.
Baking is fun. don’t let one recipe stop you. I always alter my recipes and try new flavors that I think would go well together. You can use this as a guide and then use different berries and flavorings, Im pretty sure they will come out great every time. Baking is fun so just play around with it!!!!
Makes 12-16 muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, exclude if using salted butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries, washed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tsp sugar of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter and 1 cup sugar until light. About 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and coconut extract and mix until combined.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture together with the milk and mix until just combined.
- Crush 1/2 cup of the blueberries and leave the rest whole, and gently fold into the batter.
- Add the shredded coconut and fold in gently.
- Line a 12-16 (depends on how much you fill them. I made 12 standard and 12 mini) standard muffin tin with cupcake liners, and fill with batter 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle the 3 teaspoons sugar over the tops of the muffins, and bake at 375 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. DONT OVER BAKE! (12-14 minutes for mini)
- Remove muffins from tin and transfer to a wire rack and let cool at least 30 minutes. Store, uncovered, or the muffins will be to moist and spoil.