The reason I made this was cause I had overripe bananas and as much as I love banana bread I get bored with it. So I decided to make this AMAZING upside down cake. Its honestly the BEST banana dessert Ive ever had. You can choose to make this in a cast iron pan or in a round cake pan like i did.
It reminds me of when I was young and we used to go to this Chinese restaurant with the most amazing food and we literally ALWAYS ended the meal with deepfried bananas with vanilla Ice creams and syrup. It was mine and my sisters absolute favorite and once I ate this upside down cake it brought me right back to when I was 12 years old!
This is an absolute MUST try! 😍
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large bananas, just ripe, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and salt and cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add in the cinnamon! Press the bananas (flat side down, rounded side up) into the caramel, until all of the caramel is topped with bananas. Set aside. ( I transferred the sugar mixture to a round cake pan that has been lined anf sprayed with a non stick spray. And then added the bananas as I didnt have a smaller cast iron pan)
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and set aside.
- Place the oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the egg and yolk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the buttermilk and whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and using a rubber spatula, gently fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter over the bananas and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out almost dry. Do NOT over bake.
- Take out and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then flip you cake onto a plate or serving platter and take the pan or skillet off and you should have a caramel sauce running down with delicious bake banans on top! (You can run a knife around the cake before getting it onto a plate as it might bake it easier if its a lil stuck! Make sure you scrape all that sauce out the pan aswell)
- Let cool until the caramel sets a bit. Eat warm with vanilla Ice cream 🥰.