I have actually never made these before even though I have been eating them all my life! And let me tell you these are so simple and delicious! You literally just mix all the ingredients for the dough and make the buns and THEN let them proof for a couple of hours. Its a great make a head pastry and as always you can add what ever you want to the filling but this is the classic recipe with only a vanilla filling. Your house will smell AMZING when you bake these. You will feel as you are at grandmas house just waiting to get a taste!
Next time Ill make these I will add some ground cardamom to the dough and try some cinnamon in the vanilla filling, and why not try some nutella in the center or a lemon curd filling for the summer.
What I love about this recipe is that its such a simple dough that you can add what ever filling you desire and what ever season you are in. Apple pie filling, strawberry cheesecake, lemon curd, key lime, cinnamon, vanilla, pecan pie filling, chocolate or why not a coconut filling?! Use your imagination ion you like or just follow this super simple recipe, YOU WONT regret it!
Lets get to baking!!!!
- 1 pkt (2 1/2 tsp) dry yeast (instant or regular)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract ( if using extract add another tbsp of granulated sugar to the mix)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup almond flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Start by preparing a large baking sheet with muffin holders (DONT use a muffin tin as the shape will be different and the baking time won’t be the same)
- Add the yeast, sugar and milk to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Stir with a spoon until the sugar is almost dissolved.
- Add in about a cup of flour and turn your mixer on low, and start by adding a tablespoons of the butter at a time and let it get incorporated well. add another cup of flour and mix for a couple of minutes until it comes together. Be careful by adding in the flour you don’t want it to be to much so add one cup at a time. I added about 2 cups then I put by dough on a floured surface and added 1/2 cup and incorporated it by hand. The dough should be SUPER soft but NOT sticky.
- Once you have a good consistency, roll out your doughty a rectangle or square and cut into 16-20 equal squares.
- FILLING: Mix all the ingredients together for your filling and add about 1 tsp to each square of dough.
- Fold in all the corners to the middle and put in your muffin holder, once all are done cover with a kitchen towel and let proof for 2 hours.
- Once proofed, preheat your oven to 425 F and brush your buns with the whisked egg and top with almonds if desired.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until just a little golden on top. Take out and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- GLAZE: Mix the powdered sugar and water together, it will be runny and top a little bit on your cooled buns. let set for a few minutes and they are ready to eat!