These amazing baked goods are a swedish staple. A chocolate sponge cake with a chocolate and coffee glaze and sprinkled with coconut.
You normally just baked them on a large cookie sheet pan cut in squares. I decided to use cookie cutters to make them heart shapes for valentines day and I also used food coloring to color my coconut.
I also had a hidden agenda by doing so. I used the left over sponge cake to make 2 other recipes with. I make cake pops and dammsugare (vaccums) which is also a swedish cookie where you use leftover cookies or aponge cake. Recipes for those are coming soon 🥰. Let nothing go to waste.
Im posting the traditional recipe. But if you want to use cookie cutter like me then once cake is baked and cooled. Cut out desired shapes then add your glaze on top. Then sprinkle with coconut. If you want to color your coconut the easiest way is to put some in a ziplock bag and add a couple drops of food coloring and shake it in the bag then add on top of your glaze! SUPER easy and mess free!!! 🥰
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
GLAZE & TOPPING
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup strong brewed cold coffee
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla sugar or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a large cookie sheet or baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Or use parchment paper.
- Melt your butter and add your milk once its melted and set aside.
- Using your kitchen aid or a handheld electric mixer with whisk attachment whisk your eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Once fluffy. Sift in your cocoa powder, baking powder and flour. And add in the vanilla, and milk. Mix.
- Now add in your melted butter and mix until combined.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for about 15-20 min. Depending on the size of your pan and the thickness you are going for.
- Take out and let cool, start making your glaze!
- GLAZE: Melt the butter. Once melted add in all the other ingredients and stir until even and combined.
- Once cake is cooled down a bit. Pour the glaze over evenly and sprinkles with coconut, let cool. Cut in squares and enjoy. 🥰