The name of this doesn’t make them aound like the most delicious thing in the world but trust me when I say they are! Definitely one of my favorite things to eat and I dont make them enough! You have to use either punsch which is a swedish thing so In america ur screwed. Lol. Or you can use arrak extract like I did. I had my mom send me some from sweden but you can get it online aswell from Amazon! I also heard some liquor stores sells Arrak as an alcoholic bevarage 🤔
The flavor of these are unique and honestly you need a hint of alcohol flavor in these to make them taste as they should. Sure you can use only the extrakt if you prefer. I how ever added 1 tsp coffee liqour such a small amount but it did the trick.
To make these you need cookie crumbs or a sponge cake that you wont eat. I used the leftovers from a chocolate sponge cake I already baked with. I saved all the left overs and just crumbed them up. You can make a sponge cake from scratch then let it cool and then crumb it up. Or if you have something laying around in hour freezer USE IT. Or just buy one what ever you like. Sounds more complicated than it is. This recipe is SUPER simple just takes some time if you decide to color the marzipan 🥰. They are traditionally green but I made mine purple cause Sweet P got to decide 😊.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 0,5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup sponge cake crumbs
- 1-2 tbsp arrak extract
- 1-2 tsp coffee liqour
- 200-300 g marzipan
- Food coloring,optional
- 75g dark chocolate, melted
- In a standmixer with the paddle attachment, whisk the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla until lighter and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes, scraping the sides down as needed.
- Add your sponge cake crumbs into the butter mixture and mix well. Make sure crumbs are really fine. You can use a food processor if needed.
- Add the arrak and the coffee liqour, if using and mix well. Taste to see if you want more arrak. Dough will be a tiny bit wet.
- Transfer to piping bag and cut a big whole (see pictures) and pipe 3-4 lines on wax paper or parchment paper and let rest in fridge for about an hour!
- Once dough is resting color your marzipan if you choose to do this. Add a couple drops of desired color and mix until corporated(about 5 min).
- Put down parchment paper on your work bench and dust lightly with powdered sugar and start rolling out your marzipan as thin as possible.
- Making one roll at a time. Put one roll on the marzipan and roll until just covered. Cut and pinch the line together so it seals. Repeat with the rest and cut into 2-3 inch pieces.
- Melt your chocolate unless you did ao already. Dip the sides of the cookie in the chocolate. Transer to a wire rack or parchment paper and let set. Store in fridge and ready to eat. You can add sprinkles on the chocolate part if desired. ENJOY!