I absolutely LOVE cardamom. I think its such a vibrant amazing flavor and its not used enough in everyday cooking. I always add a teaspoon crushed up cardamom in my cinnamon rolls and trust me when I tell you its a game changer!!!
Cardamom and orange goes great together but you can also try lemon or lime if thats what you have on hand. You can half the frosting recipe for this as you most likely will have some left overs. I made the whole thing but used it for 2 different cupcakes and divided it before I added the orange zest.
And as always decorate as you please and if you want to color the frosting add some gel food coloring and go for it. Always have FUN with baking! Its a joy!!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt (exclude if using salted butter)
- 1-2 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 block (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Orange zest, from one orange
- Turn oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. Makes 12-16
- Mix the streusel/filling in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom in another small bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Blend in the vanilla.
- Add in your yoghurt and mix until combined.
- Add in your flour mixture and mix on low until JUST combined.
- Spoon a small scoop of batter into the bottom of the muffin liners. Top with a teaspoon or so of streusel mix. Scoop the remaining batter on top and then top with another teaspoon of streusel, use up all the streusel.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan to a rack.
- While it cools make your frosting. Beat the butter and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Add in your salt and vanilla and mic until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix well inbetween additions. Once all sugar is in mix for 2 minutes on medium-low speed.
- Now add in your orange zest and atir until just combined. If too loose add more powdered sugar.
- Add to piping bad with desired cake tip and frost your cooled cupcakes as desired. DONE!