These pastries are AMAZING! A short bread crust filled with an almondpaste filling and topped with a light glaze. These little things you can find in ANY Swedish Fika shop. Every birthday party usually have these aswell.
I doubled the recipe so I could make have the batch with saffron which I LOVE! But you can absolutely just half the batch and make just the classic filling without saffron. Or make the double and just do the classic filling. The icing I dont have exact measurements for cause its very hard with the water ratio. Best advice is to add a tiny bit of water and stir WELL until you get a thick paste like consistency! EVEN BETTER THE NEXT DAY 🥰
Makes 24 mazariner for the double batch!
INGRRDIENTS (double batch)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 400 g (2packs) almond paste
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 5 eggs
- 8 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 g saffron (optional)
- Powdered sugar (about 2 cups)
- Vanilla extract (0,5 tsp)OPTIONAL
- Water (1tsp-2tsp)
- Line 2 muffin tins with muffin liner and spray with non-stick spray. 24 total!
- Mix together all the ingredients for the crust by hand or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attatchment. Mix until coarse crumbles appears. Then mix by hand ao it comes together.
- Wrap up in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge for about 30 min to an hour. Turn on your oven and preheat to 400F.
- Once rested divide equally in all your muffin liners and press out evenly into the liners, all the way up the sides. Once done make your filling.
- FILLING: grate the almond paste on the rough side and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the butter to the bowl of almond paste and mix with a handmixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time whisking well inbetween additions.
- Finally add your flour and baking powder and mix until well incorporated. If using saffron take half the mixture out now and add your saffron to the remaining paste left in the bowl and mix well.
- Fill your prepared muffin liners with the filling. I use a piping bag to do so but how ever you wana do it. Add slice almond on top of your saffron mazariner and bake in oven for about 12-15 min or until edges start to brown.
- Take out and let cool completely. Mix your icing together make sure its a thick paste be very CAREFUL with the water. A little goes a long way!!!! Add to your cooled mazariner without the saffron. Let set and eat!!!!!!