These cookies are AMAZING! And perfect for the fall. Its comforting with the cinnamon. It smells amazing when they bake and they come out PERFECT. Chewy yet soft with a little crunch from the sugar around the cookie yet not overly sweet!
I love cinnamon and its such a comforting smell and flavor. Making swedish Kanelbullar (cinnamon buns) is the best and once it gets colder outside I will make them ALL THE TIME.
This recipe is simple and I added some vanilla sugar that my dad had sent to me from Sweden, definetly not a necessary thing to add I just love the vanilla flavor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 and 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar(optional)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the topping: Combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the cookies: Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (see picture below) beat the butter and granulated sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and vanilla sugar if using. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough will be thick.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons of cookie dough each. Roll the dough balls in cinnamon-sugar topping. Put 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake cookies 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ready to munch!!!! 😊