This cake is definitely a Swedish staple. You can dind it literally EVERYWHERE. Every bakery and pastry shop. Cafes and grocery stores. Its a super simple cake. Spongecake, raspberry jam, ALOT of whipped cream and marzipan. Simple and delicious. If you go to a birthday party or any celebration in Sweden its a 90 % chance you will find this. I had no helper making thia BUT it came out pretty good. Traditionally the marzipan is green but I chose to make it pink and purple 😍
I like to make everything from scratch cause I love baking BUT if you want to make it easier you can use premade raspberry jam and if you find premade vanilla custard. Will make it quicker and easier. It looks like alot of steps but its easier than you think I PROMISE!!!! 😊
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract or a vanilla pod with seeds scraped out
- 2-3 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (I used fresh)
- 0.5-1 cup granulated sugar(more if you like it sweeter)
Filling and topping
- 2-3 cups whipped cream, whippes
- 2 8oz packs Marzipan
- Food coloring of your choice
- Dark chocolate, 50 grams
- Powdered sugar
- Turn oven on to 350 F. Spray a round cake pan ,8-9 inch, with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add your eggs and sugar and whisk until light and fluffy, 2-3 min.
- Add vanilla, sifted flour and baking powder and fold in with a spatula until just combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared form and bake 30-40 min or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comea out clean. Let cool completely.
While the cake cools you prepare the custard.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine milk, sugar corn starch and eggs. Whisk together and warm on low to medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Warm until thickened. Do NOT let it boil as the eggs will turn into scrambled eggs.
- Take off heat and add in your vanilla. Stir. Transfer to bowl and let cool in fridge.
- Add your raspberries and sugar to a medium sauce pan. Cook until a lil thickened (like a jam). About 15-20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through a mesh strainer to remove all the seeds.
- Let cool.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks arrive. Set aside.
- Color your marzipan to desired color and roll out with a rolling pin. Use powdered sugar on the marzipan so it wont stick. Big enough to cover the cake. Set a side.
- Melt the chocolate.
- Cut the cooled sponge cake into 3 pieces.
- Put on a plate and add your raspberry jam to the first layer, spread evenly.
- Add next cake piece and add your vanilla custard, spread evenly.
- Last layer. Add your whipped cream and create a rounded top and spread a thin layer on the sides.
- Add your marzipan, and press gently on and aroundthe cake to make it stick. And get rid of all the air bubbles. Cut off access with a sharp knife.
- Drizzle dark chocolate on top and finish with powdered sugar. Done!!!