I have been DYING for a swedish style cake. And with that I mean fresh whipped cream instead of frosting. Sometimes frosting is good, if its home made super airy and fluffy but most times it sucks. If you dont make it yourself you shouldnt even bother eating it in my opinion.
I just love fresh unsweetened whipped cream with fresh berries, a homemade sponge and delicious vanilla filling. Its summertime to me. And what better day to make it than for mothersday. Yeah I know I shouldnt be making my own cake on MY DAY, BUT I am the one who loves baking so why not? And you get to be part of it so WINNING! I used a vanilla powder in my cake that I had my mom send to me, its basically powdered sugar with fresh vanilla infused in it. But vanilla extract works perfectly fine.
Its super simple and easy to make. You probably have most things in your cabinets and in your fridge already so lets get to it!!!!!!!!
- 3 eggs
- 1,5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1,5 cups all purpose flour
- 0,5 cup hot water, boiling
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 cups frozen or fresh strawberries
- 0,5-1 cup granulated sugar
Vanilla cream filling
- 3/4 cup whipped cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- O,5 cup fresh whipped, whipped cream
- 2 cups freshly whipped, whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract(optional)
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar(optional)
- Fresh strawberries or mixed berries
- Spongecake – Turn your oven in 350F. combine eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy, about 2 min.
- Mix together your flour and baking powder in a bowl. And heat up your water in a sauce pan or microwave until its hot.
- Put half the flour mixture and half your water into the bowl with the eggs. And fold in gently with a spatula so you keep all the air in the cake. Once mixed in add the second of flour and water and fold in gently. Set aside.
- Prepare a round cake pan or a spring form. Use nonstick spray and if needed flour the form so your cake wont stick.
- Once done add you cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the bottom of the oven for about 30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take out and let ait in pan for another 15 min. Take out of pan and let cool completely. Once cool cut into 3 round pieces. So you will have 3 layers of sponge.
- Vanilla custard – in a small sauce pan combine whipped cream, sugar, cornstarch and egg yolk. Whisk together over a medium high heat until it thickens. Take off heat immediately! Whisk continuesly and do NOT leave it. Once it starts to thicken it will literally takes seconds before its done.
- Add your vanilla and stir. Put in a container and let cool completely.
- Once cool add in your whipped whipped cream. Fold in gently.
- Strawberry filling – mash together your strawberries and sugar with a fork until it resembles a jam almost. I like it a little wet so the sponge can soak up all that strawberry sauce.
- Assemble – on the first layer of your cake spread out the strawberry filling evenly. Once done add another layer and put the vanilla filling on it, spread evenly. Add your last layer. Let sit in fridge for an hour or so so the strawberries can penetrate the sponge a bit and make it super moist and delicious.
- On the last layer. Spread out your whipped cream as desired. Using a piping bag or just a spatula. Garnish with your strawberries or fresh berries and you are done!!!