It literally seems like I have an endless amount of apples, which I do!!!! So I said to P what should we make? And she literally just stared at me like a huge ? saying I dont know mom, so she was NO help. So I was on my own. At first I thought about applesauce but what fucking fun is that. Anyone can make apple sauce! So I came across this recipe which is literally THE BEST apple pie like kinda thing ive ever heard. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS ONE. Its a few steps to it but who cares we got time, we are on lock down so lets get it!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- Make the crust: Mix the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir until everything is combined. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling and streusel.
- Make the apple filling: Mix the sliced apples, flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until all of the apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the streusel: Mix the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a medium bowl. Cube the cold butter and mix it in with the oat mixture and mix it with your hands until it resembles small crumbs.
- Take the crust out of the oven, and turn the oven up to 350°F. Evenly layer the apples on top of the warm crust. Layer them tightly and press them down to fit. Sprinkle the apple layer with streusel and bake for 30–35 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Lift parchment out of the pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into bars. Usually makes 12-16 bars depending on the size you cut. Serve warm, cold or room temperature. THEY ARE DELICIOUS!!!!!