I remember eating this cake as a kid and it’s ridiculously good. It has a layer of fluffy spongecake, another layer of meringue, a layer of almonds and whipped cream and berries. It has a few steps to it but all so simple and doesn’t take any time at all and if you have a Kitchen Aid or something similar this is a piece of cake 😂. Its sweet, creamy, fluffy, crunchy, gooey and just yummy! Feeds alot of people and is perfect for a birthday party for kids OR adults! If you want a bigger cake just double the recipe and TADA you have a HUGE cake 😍.
- 75g/6tbsp of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, unbleached preferably
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Turn oven to 300F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, incorporate well before each addition.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Sift into the egg mixture, add milk and fold in gently.
- Take batter and spread out in a thin layer on your prepared pan, set aside.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 50g shaved almonds
- Whisk the egg whites with a handheld mixer or your kitchen aid until it starts forming soft peeks. Then slowly start adding the sugar slowly. Whisk until sugar is fully disolved and you have a stiff meringue.
- Spread the meringue over the layer of spongecake evenly.
- Take your almonds and crush them lightly in your hands and spread over the meringue.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 min or until meringue starts to get a little golden brown. DO NOT over bake, you will have a dry sponge cake.
- Take out of oven and off the cookie sheet. Let cool completely.
- 1.5 cups whipped cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh berries of your choice(strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Whisk the whipped cream with the vanilla and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Cut your berries into smaller pieces.
- Once cake is cool cut in half. Spread the whipped cream evenly on one half of the cake. Meringue side up.
- Divide your berries over the whipped cream and put the other layer of cake on top, meringue side up. READY TO SERVE.